[Bell Historians] Tuning Bells

A Willis zen16073 at z...
Wed Oct 1 14:45:04 BST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: mike at m... [mailto:mike at m...]
Sent: 01 October 2003 09:40
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Tuning Bells

Alan Buswell has kindly sent me details of my beloved Roker bells. I note
that the tenor was cast at 25-1-24 and tuned to 22-2-26. Is this about the
"normal" amount that would be expected to be removed from a bell during the
initial tuning process?

Mike

The cast weight of the 1882 L&J tenor at Holy Trinity, Bradford on Avon was
32 cwt, and the first tuning, presumably by L&J reduced it to 30-0-25.
Further tuning by Taylor's has reduced it to 29-2-26. Not that it matters,
the bell sounds magic.

I worked out that the metal taken from Holy Trinity bells when they were
tuned was over 10 cwt.; greater than than the weight of the new 4th.

Anne Willis