[Bell Historians] Diagonal Frames

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Thu Oct 2 18:34:14 BST 2003

---No, the photos of the bells are the new Groton bells. All the
frame sections are also chalked Groton via Boston.

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Chris Pickford"
<c.j.pickford at t...> wrote:
> There is NO evidence that the Gedney and Holbeach frames were by
Williams - this is another "urban myth", based on the existence of a
number of diagonal frames known to have been made by the Williams
brothers but without further foundation.

> I did compile a list of diagonal frames some years ago, but it
needs a bit of updating - for which I have no time just now - before
sharing.

> Isn't Jim H's picture of Groton one of the old bells of the
previous M&S ring? They were recast to a slightly lower weight and
augmented to ten in the 1960s

> CP

both by John and Richard Williams of Kings Sutton, Northants.
Holbeach replaced (Taylor 1936) with Day of Eye fittings of 1926
reused apparently! The frame at Gedney was replaced (Taylor 1911).
Plans of both frames shown in James R. Jerram's mss. c.1904. Jerram's
plan for the rehanging of the augmented 8 (1884) at St Edmund's,
Salisbury, shows all eight bells on one level, however, this was
never executed. The old six-bell frame was retained and the three
trebles hung in a new frame above.

> Neil Skelton.

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>

> This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing
List. To unsubscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-
unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com

Service.