Collapsed towers/ Bellhouses that exist today

Alan J.Birney fartwell2000 at y...
Fri Oct 10 19:21:31 BST 2003

Hi to all.
I came across some info on the web the other day that St Mary,
Princes Risborough had six bells in the tower till the early 1800s
when the tower collapsed-the six were supposed to date from 1552.
I was wondering if anyone knew anything of them-they are not
hung in the Rebuilt tower.
Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of any bellhouses in
churchyards-there is one at Rivington(nr Bolton), Lancs, which
comprises of two floors. It is a short rectangular building as
opposed to a tower, with louvres on the second level.
The bellhouse at Rivington appears considerably older than the church
(which has a small tower/spire and one bell).
The bell house has no trace of any bells at all.
How common were these types of building?
Alan