[Bell Historians] heavy tenors

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Tue Oct 28 19:01:16 GMT 2003

--- Both old and modern bell founders have not always been totally
honest in describing the weights of the bells that they have
supplied. After all, what do you do to check their honesty? The most
recent 'angel's share' was Leeds Parish Church, but there are many
others.
The 'angel's share' is the loss by evaporation when whisky is
maturing. I think it is a good comparison for tenors losing weight in
the tower!
Jim

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "A Willis" <zen16073 at z...> wrote:

> [...]
Warminster - the
> weight 27-2-13 coming from the church records at the time the bell
was
> installed in 1737. The bells were rehung by Bowell in 1914 and the
canons
> may have been removed them. Mears & Stainbank rehung and retuned
them in
> 1960
> [A Willis]
>
> The weight is in a copy of the contract, in the churchwardens'
accounts,
> so I would hope it was correct .
> Anne Willis
>
> 1737
>
> Memorandum November 2nd 1737. The new Tenor Bell cast by Abel
Rudhall at
> Gloucester was hung up in the
>
> c qrs lb lb
>
> tower; weight 27 2 13 or 3093
>

> The agreement for casting this bell was made on the second day of
July
> 1737, between Abel Rudhall and
>

> new
>
> John French Churchwarden, after the following articles: Abel
Rudhall to
> deliver the bell at Bristol, sound and tuneable, at fourteen
Pence and
> three farthings for every Pound weight; to ?new clapper the new
bell and to
> have the old clapper; to find and pay a man to hang up the new Bell
in the
> Tower, the Parishioners finding the material for the doing of it;
And to
> warrent the bell sound and good for Twelve Months and one Day after
the same
> shall be hung up in the tower. John French to deliver the old bell
at
> Bristol, at twelve Pence for every Pound weight, and to pay the sd
Abel