[Bell Historians] Re: [Bell HistoriansPeal at Romsey

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Wed Oct 29 19:40:06 GMT 2003

jameshedgcock at h... writes:

> I also often wonder why F.E. Robinson 'raved' about
> Privett when one considers some of the excellent bells on which he
> rang peals - Heavitree in Exeter for example - about which he makes
> no comment.---

I personally think Privett are an excellent old style ring - we rang a
spanking peal of Grandsire Triples there earlier this year and I thought they were
really superb. When FER rang there, the bells were open to the spire. During
WW2 a floor was installed ยข8 feet above the bells and scaffolding erectedto
enable the spire lights to be used as a lookout for bombers heading towards
Portsmouth & Southampton. When we rehung the bells last year - Roger Barber& his
team made removable trap doors in this floor - when open it transforms the
sound of the bells in the ringing room. Perhaps you should consider a return visit
Jim???

Matthew

Matthew Higby & Co Ltd,
Church Bell Engineers.