[Bell Historians] Bell News

sem at u... sem at u...
Tue Sep 16 16:58:13 BST 2003

Yes. It's also interesting to note that this band travelled about the same
distance as our repeat performance last friday. In the original, C Lilley
came from Bedford, the 2 Colemans fron St Neots, Goss came from Ramsey and
the remaining ringers from Peterborough. I expect they all travelled by
train though! They also rang the peal 11 mins quicker than we did. Also
impressive is the sped which Bell news published it!
Sue M

Its interesting to see that this was the first peal for Arthur Holmes father
of Bill Holmes of Edenham

Sue

WHITTLESEY, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
THE ELY DIOCESAN ASSOCIATION
On Saturday, September 12, 1903, in Two Hours and Fifty-three Minutes.
AT THE CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
A PEAL OF GRANDSIRE TRIPLES, 5040 CHANGES.
Holt's Ten Part. Tenor 18 cwt in E flat

Sidney J. Coleman......Treble.
Ernest G. Baker*............2nd.
William J. Goss...............3rd.
Arthur J. Holmes*...........4th.
Charles R. Lilley..............5th.
George D. Coleman.........6th.
William T. Johnson...........7th.
Robert Rowell*.............Tenor.

Conducted by Charles R. Lilley.

Bell News: September 19, 1903. page 308.

Neil.

* First peal. First peal on the bells.