Taylor tenor frames
richard.offen at o...
Wed Apr 7 09:27:52 BST 2004
A similar thing was done at St Chad's,
> Shrewsbury, in 1914 when the present ring were installed in the
> frame apart from the tenor, which was hung in a new single-pit cast
> frame which replaced the timber pit of the original frame.
Not quite accurate. The wallside timber truss was replace with a
cast-iron frameside in 1914, but the other bearing still sits (very
firmly) on the timber frame. This was presumably done because outer
timber frameside must have been rather short to fit inside the
tower's circular structure, which probably meant that it was weaker
that the rest of the frame.
More information about the Bell-historians