[Bell Historians] L&J tenors (etc.)

Susan Dalton dalton.family at v...
Fri Apr 9 09:48:41 BST 2004

>From: "Andrew Aspland" <aaspland at y...>
>To: <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] L&J tenors

> I am afraid I can't get very excited about Whitchurch Canonicorum - we
> found them very difficult to ring well - odd struck and one bell was
> frighteningly deep set - not enough old style grandeur to make up for a
> difficult go.

[You philistine! Tone/tuning and "go" are two completely separate things
and most bands manage to ring 'em properly despite the tower-sway. W C
tenor is Thomas Purdue, by the way; L & J never set foot in the tower. CD]

> Ilfracombe P&J have two L&J trebles which sounded almost modern to me

[They ARE modern, and have true-harmonic tuning more or less. CD]

> East Ardsley (Yorks) have a complete L&J peal of eight rehung in 1990s -
> good but not brilliant.

[I'd go along with that. CD]