Preserved bells

Alan J.Birney fartwell2000 at y...
Tue Apr 13 11:06:12 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "George Dawson" <George at d...>
wrote:

> > Not really related to this article, but the church at Halton, nr
> > Carnfroth, Lancs has three bells- one recast and the inscription
band
> > preserved- bell hung dead with trigger action clapper (Taylor
1950s?).
> > The inscription band and the other two unhung bells are preserved
OUT
> > OF VIEW of anyone, being housed in the middle chamber of the
tower.

> I disagree. Leaving bells on church floors is inviting theft and we
all know
> of examples of stolen important bells.
I can think of several churches here up north where there are
bells on display in open churches, and they have not been stolen.
At one church, the two bells are at the back of the church are light
(tenor about 2cwt) and would be easily shifted, the church is also
relatively remote from other villages/towns.
At Halton, surely the two refurbishable bells up in the tower would
be better off being re-used in that Parish, or being sold for re-use
to another Parish, rather than being locked up for no-one to see?
Alan