[Bell Historians] unusual clappers

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Wed Apr 14 23:19:50 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Dickon Love" <DrLove at s...>
wrote:
> --- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Richard Offen"
> <richard.offen at o...> wrote:
>
> > I often wonder what Canterbury Cathedral would sound like with a
> > decent set of wrought iron clappers in them?
>
> It is a shame they weren't given WI clappers in the first place eh
> Richard? :)
>
> DrL

WI clappers were quite simply NOT available at the time Canterbury
were put in. Had they been, Canterbury would have had them!

In 1981 none of the foundries had been able to find a good, reliable
source of wrought iron (this was prior to Ironbridge re-starting
production) to make new clappers - they had a some available to
repair old ones, but that was it.