[Bell Historians] Ringing curios

Simon Bond yahoo at s...
Wed Apr 21 23:34:46 BST 2004

Minster - The word is derived from Latin monasterium and was used for the
church belonging to a monastry or a chapter. Not that there is a monastry
round here that I know of. Preston has indeed only just become a Minster in
line with the awarding of city status to Preston.

Simon Bond
Penwortham

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Offen
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 10:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Ringing curios

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Simon Bond" <yahoo at s...>
wrote:
> If you would like another picture of a wheel on a wall, the wheel
of the old 24 Cwt tenor is hung on the wall in Preston Minster
ringing room. The picture can be found at the address below and
permission for use sought from the webmaster of the site (www.ringing-
online.freeserve.co.uk).

> http://www.ringing-online.freeserve.co.uk/preston/img/ringingrm.jpg
>

> Simon Bond
> Penwortham

This has reminded me of a question: Can anyone provide the definition
of a 'minster' church? I believe that Preston has only just become
one.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: