[Bell Historians] temporary foundries

David Bryant david at b...
Wed Apr 28 12:53:49 BST 2004

> but certainly he cast the
> six for St. Oswalds Durham at the Cathedral site because when they were
> excavating the water pit for the saw they found the floor of the foundry and at
> least one casting pit which had the remains of the cope that was used to cast the
> third at St. Oswalds.

It's interesting that the old 3rd and 5th were retained when the bells at St Oswald's were recast by Taylor's in the 70s - do you know why these two were chosen? I assume there might well be a particular reason, as if they wanted to keep any two bells the most obvious candidates would be the treble and 2nd, as scrap bellmetal was very expensive in the 70s.

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/