Kirkoswald, Cumbria

Mike Chester mike at m...
Mon Aug 2 14:26:55 BST 2004

http://www.stevebulman.f9.co.uk/cumbria/1901/kirkoswald1901.html

says

There appears to have been at Kirkoswald, during the first quarter of
the 18th century, a foundry for the casting of church bells. It was
carried on by one Aaron Peever, whose name occurs thus on the tenor
bell in the church:-

+ AARON + PEEVER + KIRKOSWALD + FA + IOHN + RUMNEY + VICK + 1729; the
treble bell has evidently been cast by him also. Another bell of much
older date is inscribed thus:- WILLIAM LAND MADE ME 1619 W.B.

On the lip of the bell are three old silver coins, much worn, which
have clearly been put in the mould before casting. Kirkoswald was,
from its position on the borders of the Debatable Land, liable to the
unwelcome visits of the marauding Scots; and, accordingly, we find
from the Chronicle of Lanercost, that the town was burned by Bruce,
in 1314. In 1597 and 1598, it was visited by the plague, which
traversed the north of England, and made its way from Newcastle to
Kirkoswald and Penrith, and thence to Appleby and Kendal. We read
that in the first year of the visitation forty-two persons died, and
in the year following no less than 583, a mortality which must have
almost depopulated the parish. Only fifty-one deaths are recorded in
the church register.

The implication is therefore that there are 3 bells, but I no not
what there "ringability" is.