[Bell Historians] Porosity

Dickon Love dickon.love at a...
Tue Aug 10 09:43:29 BST 2004

RCO:
> The bell is NOT a poor casting. It has a small amount of porosity
> around the original strike point, which has only become apparent as
> the clapper has worn the surface metal away. Nor has it been over
> clappered.

Depersonalising this, how common an occurrence is this? And how
common these days? And what causes it?

I too was a little surprised by the strength of response from my old
Canterbury friends to my innocent enquiry. I am sure that porosity in
modern bells is equally as interesting and appropriate a discussion
as the colour of L&J's nuts... :)

DrL
(declared as former Steeplekeeper at Canterbury, although that
discussion has moved on...)