[Bell Historians] Trebles on higher numbers

David Bryant david at b...
Wed Aug 11 10:01:19 BST 2004

"Removing metal from the outside could deface any inscriptions etc. which, I assume, the main reason why tuning is effected nowadays by removal from the inside only."

Where I've seen it done, the bell has been cut on the outside of the soundbow, between the two sets of moulding wires.

"But there must be many examples of bells where the external diameter has been reduced at the rim to correct tonal errors."

Skirting - done to sharpen the note. Doesn't usually do much for the tonal quality, though.

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/