[Bell Historians] Beckenham bells - old postcard

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Mon Aug 16 13:36:02 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "LOVE, Dickon"
<dickon.love at a...> wrote:
> "To-days e-bay trawl has produced a 1906 postcard/Christmas
Greetings
> card showing 8 bells, stated to be those of Beckenham parish church
> They are shown complete with headstocks, and have had the
> inscriptions picked out in white.
> Outside of my field of interest but a nice card nevertheless.
> Phil Lucas"
>
> Would this be the same pic as one of those on
> http://kent.lovesguide.com/beckenham.htm
>
> These pics come from scans of some rather large prints that hang in
the
> tower. These were particularly interesting as we discovered that the
> inscriptions that appear in the photograph are NOT the same as
those on the
> bells. It appears that errors in the original inscriptions were
corrected
> (by etching off and then engraving) at a later date, possibly 1952.
The
> pictures date from 1903.
>
> DrL

Do you mean they etched the inscription off the photo or the bell?
If it was the bell, it will have been done with a hammer and chisel,
not acid!