Pack and Chapman 1770s

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Wed Aug 18 09:41:00 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Aspland"
<aaspland at y...> wrote:
> In one of the Dorset books mention is made of a 1770s Pack and
Chapman bell
> which is of very good tone. Knaresborough are from 1774 althought
the two
> trebles have been recast, St Mary's Shrewbury are cited as a good
example,
> Coventry were of this era and I have found the treble at Farnham
(Yorks)
> 1774 to be almost modern toned. Any other examples from this era
and any
> tonal analysis - apart from the recent recreation of Coventry?
>
> Andrew

Great Dunstan at Canterbury, although this is by William Chapman
(1762), so may not count, is magnificent - see my article about it on
Dickon's "Loves Guide to the Church Bells of Kent" site.

You rang at St Mary's Shrewsbury, last February Andrew - they're
excellent, don't you remember?!