[Bell Historians] Pack and Chapman 1770s

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Fri Aug 20 23:45:01 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Does sound as if the tenor was cast for somewhere else and retained in stoc=
k for one reason or another.=20=20

As to the "4 C's and a central square", yes, I've come across a number of t=
hem - what I would call one of L&P's 'occasional' ornaments. Fleurs-de-lis =
and crowns were favourites with Richard Phelps.

DLC=20

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Andrew Aspland=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 12:27 AM
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Pack and Chapman 1770s

Further to Knaresborough bells:
=20=20=20
Four of them (4,5,7&8) have crosses on them - the one on the fourth has =
a fleur-de-lys and a crown [Mary??], the others are like four letter "C"s w=
ith a square in the centre. It is reputed that the eight were a recasting =
of four old bells. Could these crosses be an indication of this?
=20=20=20
Also the tenor has a double inscription band. In the upper part there is=
an engraved inscription whilst that in the lower band is cast-in. Also th=
e date is missing after "of London Fecit" - was this bell destined for some=
where else? Any other 18cwt bells cast around this time - was it a reject =
from Coventry?
=20=20=20
Andrew

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

=20=20=20=20=20=20
c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service=
.=20