[Bell Historians] Somerset founders

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Mon Aug 23 11:47:05 BST 2004

> Slightly off topic of course, but quite a few of L&J's early larger bells
> were cast by JT&Co - up to 1872; in Somerset, among others, Charlynch tenor
> 2' 11 3/4" 7-1-19 17/4/1863 plus fittings;

[Is this right? I had Charlynch former tenor down as one of L & J's own
bells, not one of the ones Taylors cast for them. CD]

East Harptree tenor 3' 8 5/8"
> 14-0-18 25/6/1863; Luxborough treble 2' 4 3/8" 4.1.20 22/4/1864 plus
> clapper; 3 2' 6 1/8" 4.2.19; 4 2' 10 1/4" 6.1.12; tenor 3' 2 3/8" 8.2.7
> 8/8/1863. Bristol, St James treble in 10, 1866.
> And of course, C&G Mears cast a number of bells for Peter Llewellin.

[Whitechapel also cast two "L & J" bells for Publow, one of which survives.
CD]

As to the Great Bucket (or has someone recast it ?) at Yeovilton, I've no
idea.
> The reasons David gives are attractive ones unless there is evidence to the
> contrary.
>
> DLC

[The "Yeoviton" group consists at the moment of Yeovilton tenor itself, a
bell at Cherington in Glos., two former bells at Glastonbury St John, and
three of the four bells at Lamphey in Pembs. The point had not escaped me
that Petter of Yeovil had the founding capacity, if not the expertise, to
produce Yeovilton tenor (which is most certainly not a 'bucket', great or
otherwise. But if one accepts (as I certainly accept) that all these fine
bells were cast by the same founder, the Cherington bell is linked to an
unspecified foundry in Bristol in a ms. note by H T Ellacombe. CD]