[Bell Historians] Chewstoke

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Tue Aug 31 18:51:17 BST 2004

david at b... writes:

I'm currently working on updating the Bath & Wells listed bells list. Can
anyone provide details of the ring of bells at Chewstoke, Somerset, as it
now exists (founders, weights and diameters, canons - plus frame & fittings
if anyone knows), and of the disused bell (former 2nd?) now in the church.

I can't tell you diameters & founders except for the new bell which is by
Taylors. The original treble was tuned down to become the second and a new
treble cast. The frame is composite, Steel lowside A frames with timber tops and
bottoms, supported on RSJ's (I remember painting them some years ago).They
have modern Taylor fittings. No canons remain. All the bells swing N/S, the
tenor and 3rd in the middle.

Matthew

Matthew Higby & Co Ltd,
Church Bell Engineers.