[Bell Historians] Derwent Woodlands / South Normanton

Peter Kirby peter.c.kirby at b...
Wed Dec 15 19:27:45 GMT 2004

Does anyone have any details of bell(s) in the tower (or were in the tower)
of South Normanton partially submerged in Rutland Water?

PCK ...

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bryant [mailto:david at b...]
Sent: 14 December 2004 15:10
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Derwent Woodlands

I've just been doing some research on villages beneath reservoirs, of which
there are several in the country. So far as I'm aware, the only one which
had a ring of bells was Derwent Woodlands in Derbyshire which had a 12 cwt
four. I've just looked at the entry for these in George's book, and notice
that there are gaps in the information (unsurprisingly as church is gone!).
Has George or anyone else come across any further information (at Taylor's?)
since the book was published? I wonder whether there are any surviving
details of the fittings and frame, and the missing inscription. Were the
bells only in a frame for four or more? From photos which Iv'e seen, the
tower looks quite small.

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/id/7098.htm