[Bell Historians] Fw: John Hodson, bell-founder

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Wed Feb 11 15:12:04 GMT 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

For an authoritative account, see:

Ephick, G.P., Sussex Bells and Belfries: Chichester, Phillimore, 1970.=20

See also his related references to Walters The Church Bells of England and =
Stahlschmidt The Church Bells of Kent. The Walters book was reprinted about=
25 years ago, the Kent one (1887) is a rare collectors' item, as is his Su=
rrey Bells and London Bell Founders (1884).

There are quite a number of 'Hodson' bells in my home county of Kent, eithe=
r by himself, with his associate William Hull, or with his son Christopher,=
or by Christopher himself. See CBK pp 97ff. Complete or nearly complete ri=
ngs or chimes in Kent exist at:

Milton-by-Gravesend (back 5 of 8), JH with Wm Hull
Chelsfield, back 5 of 6, 1672 JH
Woodnesborough, 3 bells out of 5, 1676 JH
Alkham, 3 bells out of 4, 1683 J&CH
Brookland, 3 bells out of 6 + crown of old tenor, 1685 J&CH=20
Godmersham, back 5 of 6, 1685 CH
Dymchurch, 3, 1685, CH
Plumstead, 3 bells out of 6, CH 1686

DLC