[Bell Historians] Minor rings

David Bryant david at b...
Sat Feb 14 23:18:37 GMT 2004

"Some of the others on the list must be victims of chronic tuning errors for
the major key, and these should be excluded."

How can we ever know what was intended? In an off-list email, Chris Pickford
has pointed out to me that in many cases bells probably ended up in a
particular mode because that was how they came out when cast, and the mode
was not due to any deliberate intention on the part of the founder. In most
cases, we will never know what the founder intended, so surely we must
describe the ring of bells as it is, not as we think it was intended.