Great Clacton

Aidan C A Hopkins aidan at h...
Thu Jan 1 18:03:41 GMT 2004

On 30 Dec 2003 at 0:50, Alan Chantler wrote:
> This has arrived in my personal Inbox. I have already responded.
> Anyone else who wishes should respond to Jack off list.

I presume from the description that the "repaired and restored" bells
are hung for "clocking", and that somebody - probably Alan - has
warned them of the risk of cracking. No doubt the "repairing and
restoring" was an amateur job (in terms of bell work knowledge).

Unless of course the terminology is wrong, and it is really an
Ellacombe chime's hammers that the ropes are attached to!

What I find surprising is that the original email implies that the
bells have been sitting there - perhaps since the 1960s or longer -
and yet they are not listed in Dove, and the tower is not affiliated
to the Essex Association.

I was rather hoping that somebody would make an on-list comment about
them, and this very unusual combination of circumstances.

I am copying this to r-c in case anybody only on that list has any
knowledge, AND to Bell Historians in view of the ages of the old
ones. It would be very interesting to hear them, particularly the old
ones.

I am convinced that somebody somewhere on these lists must have more
knowledge of the local situation.

Aidan