[Bell Historians] Great Clacton

David Sloman david at s...
Fri Jan 2 09:06:36 GMT 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

The old five bells were unringable at the turn of the 20th Century, Alfred =
Bowell reported that the third and tenor bells cracked in 1930. The bells w=
ere rehung for chiming in 1958 by Taylors and the two cracked bells recast.=
Whitechapel added a new treble in 1974 but by 1986 the church was in poor =
condition and was closed. By 1993 the tower roof leaked and the tower was h=
ome for a hundred pigeons.The whole installation has now been overhaulled a=
nd the pigeons excluded and all is in good order and there has been talk of=
hanging them for ringing again.

DS
----- Original Message -----=20
From: David Cawley=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Cc: alan at c... ; marjax @ btinternet.com=20
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2004 10:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Great Clacton

GREAT CLACTON BELLS

The chime of five is as follows:

Treble: John Taylor & Co., Loughborough, 1964
2nd: Thomas Gardiner, Sudbury, 1721
3rd: Thomas Gardiner 1721
4th: John Taylor & Co., 1958
5th: Miles Graye III, Colchester, 1649
Tenor: John Taylor & Co., 1958 8-cwt 2-qr 24-lb in G#

The previous 4th & tenor were by Thomas Gardiner and Miles Graye respecti=
vely.

The chiming cords should be attached at their top ends to trigger action =
clappers - i.e. to the lever eye adjacent to the clapper hinge.
The chiming cords should be attached at their bottom end to a chiming man=
ual supplied in 1958; the manual should have individual pawl and ratchet ad=
justment facilities to daw the cords into adjustment. The cords themselves =
should have rubber handgrips.

John Taylor & Co visited in 1957 and found the then ring of bells hanging=
in a derelict condition. Two (the present 4th & tenor) were cracked. They =
advised recasting these and tuning the remainder; the canons to be retained=
on the surviving 17th & 18th century bells.

They then quoted for

A. Rehanging in a new frame, for full-circle ringing
B. Rehanging in the old frame, for swing-chiming=20
C. Rehanging the three sound bells only in a new frame with a foundation =
for six, for full-circle ringing
D. Rehanging on steel joists, for stationary chiming only.

In the end they went for the last scheme, i.e. the old frame was removed,=
the two cracked bells recast, new stationary chiming fittings provided and=
new steelwork on which to hang the bells stationary.

The treble was added six years later.

In view of the long period which has elapsed during which they have been =
silent, it would be advisable for the parish to seek the advice of the Dioc=
esan Adviser, David Sloman: he will be able to suggest any remedial action =
if it is necessary.

Good news about Great Clacton church, in fact just right for the New Year=
!

DLC

----- Original Message -----=20