[Bell Historians] Flat Crowns

Chris Povey cmpovey at 3...
Wed Jan 14 17:29:55 GMT 2004

> --- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "jimhedgcock"
> <jameshedgcock at h...> wrote:
> > ---
> > Was there any point other than for cosmetic purposes?
> >

> I had thought that the reason for the canons/Doncaster heads being
> requested by the Pebworth band was the assumption that all 8, and
> then 10, bells would handle in a similar fashion to the existing 6/8
> bells that already possessed such appendages.
>
> I await correction with trepidation!
>
> Mike

You are quite correct, Mike. The primary intention was to match the dynamics
of the existing bells at both augmentations, working on the basis that if
everything was the same physically, then the dynamics should be the same.
The formula worked extremely well in 1995, the ring feeling like an 8
immediately. It worked again in 2002. All 10 bells drop into place
naturally; no holding up. A notable ringer from the West Midlands rang the
treble to the first peal and conducted it. The smile on his face at the
successful conclusion was more than sufficient confirmation that everything
felt as it should. Cosmetics were secondary.

Chris Povey