[Bell Historians] Liverpool Cathedral Bells

Andrew Wilby andrew at w...
Thu Jul 1 00:00:08 BST 2004

Jim hedgecock wrote
<Tom Hesketh told me that Dwelly had approached the Liverpool Branch
of The Lancashire Association to train The Cathedral Cross Guild to
ring the bells. It was also made quite clear that once this had been
achieved, the bells would be rung exclusively by The Cathedral Cross
Guild.>

Roger DR Brown, a ringer at Harpenden and Wheathampstead in the 60's and 70's,
was one of the band trained at Walton as the original band for the Cathedral. He
still exists in the Wheathampstead area... I had a pint with him 3 or 4 years
ago having rung with him a lot in my youf... he must have been part of the
aforesaid Guild.

I think the trainee Guild rang rounds for the opening of the bells if my
recollection of the stories from Roger are true.

Andrew