[Bell Historians] Liverpool Pro Cathedral

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Thu Jul 1 09:08:11 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Thanks for all this and the preceding e-mails on the subject of the pro-Cat=
hedral. I think that one point needs correction - the title of "Parish Chur=
ch" did not "pass to Pierhead when St Peter'as was deconsecrated". Even ass=
uming the latter act (rare) to have occurred, preceding the 1924/5 demoliti=
on, St Nicholas was a joint parish church - the only examples in the countr=
y? - and the clergy were styled "Rectors of Liverpool" with incumbent right=
s in both churches. Thus the back 3 (1829) of the St Peter's (later the pro=
-Cathedral) bells (now at St Helen's) all bear on the waist=20
THE REVD JONATHAN BROOKS A.M.}
THE REVD AUGUSTUS CAMPBELL A.M.} RECTORS OF LIVERPOOL
The tenor of the 1813 ring at Pierhead had:
THE REVD SAML TENSHAW AND ROBERT H. ROUGHSEDGE RECTORS
Apparently this situation obtained from the building of St Peter's (1699-17=
04).On the death of Revd J Brooks (see above)1855, Mr Campbell became sole =
Rector (?of St Peter's and St Nicholas), asituation rectified by the elevat=
ion of St Peter's to be the pro-Cathedral in 1880, with Bishop Ryle as firs=
t Dean.
As to the pre-1829 bells at St Peter's, Cheetham says that the back four we=
re by Rudhall, 1707 and the front four 1724, and some are to be found as fo=
llows:
One at St Augustine, Everton; one at Knotty Ash; one to the subsequently de=
molished St Catherine, Abercomby Square (demolished) and one to St John, Li=
verpool (also now demolished).
Thanks too for references to the photographs etc; I have all of these, but =
was wondering if there is an independent write up. Of course the taste of t=
he time and propaganda in favour of the new Cathedral proclaimed St Peter's=
as "the ugliest church in Christendom" - surely unfair, and the interior s=
eems to have been especially handsome.=20=20=20
----- Original Message -----=20