[Bell Historians] Chester Cathedral

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Sun Jul 4 15:13:38 BST 2004

>From: "R.J.Johnston" <R.Johnston at b...>
>To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Bilbrough
>Date: Sat, Jul 3, 2004, 5:32 pm
>
> Can anybody remind me when the new campanile was erected at Chester
> Cathedral -a RW reference would be even more useful?

In case this is of use, Chester Cathedral was in RW Feb 14 1936, Dec 29 1950
(front cover), March 7 1969, Jan 7 1972, Nov [?] 1974, and George
Addleshaw's obituary July 30 1982.

The bells (8 of them) were taken out of the central tower in 1969 and the
new ring in the new tower were opened in 1975. And what a disappointment
the whole job turned out to be - perhaps that is why I have no RW reference
for 1975 because surely there must have been an article.

C D