Kettering (again)

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Sun Jul 4 19:19:56 BST 2004

---

According to the PDGCBR Guild Inventory, Gretton has a complete five
cast by T. Eayre II in 1761 tenor 37 3/8 inches 8 2 24 in G#
Restored in oak frame 1926 by Taylors.
Clock bell Thos Norris 1636 20" 1 2 26.

I have spoken to our Diocesan Bell Advisor who was not aware that the
ninth of the old twelve at Kettering was a listed bell, (if it was).
As a 'rider' to this correspondence, is there not a responsibility
with the recipient of such an old bell to ensure that it is not
broken up unless the case for doing so is absolutely clear from all
interested parties, including the Diocesan Chancellor? I think that
Diocesan advisors, who like all of us, can make mistakes, should not
be the sole arbitrators in such matters.

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <david at b...> wrote:
> According to the rings of 12 webste, the 9th of the ring just
removed from Kettering (dated 1630) was not case for Kettering, but
was exchanged for the tenor at Gretton, Northants, by Thomas Eayre
in 1761.

> Is this correct? If so, where is it recorded and why was it carried
out. As this bell will have been G and the tenor at Gretton is given
as G#, it seems possible that it was carried out because the
Kettering bell was too sharp and the Gretton one too flat. Does the
bell still exist at Gretton, and does anybody have details of it?

at: http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/id/7098.htm