[Bell Historians] Re: Liverpool Cathedral Bells

Mike Chester mike at m...
Mon Jul 5 14:18:35 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Susan & Christopher Dalton"
<dalton.family at v...> wrote:
> Very eloquently put. A bell was dropped in this way at the former
8 (and
> before that former 12) at West Bromwich but the recast (i.e.
replacement)
> bell had its true date on.

I have been informed that this occured when the 12 were being taken
out to be rehung as an 8. The story (legend?) is that the bell
hanger put the tenor on the hoist and went to lunch. When he came
back the chain had parted, the tenor had fallen and smashed the 11th
which was at the bottom of the tower awaiting collection.

Another West Brom story is one suggesting that Henry Fearn once met a
peal band as they came out of the tower, saying something such
as, "You think you have rung a peal, don't you?" On receiving an
affirmative reply he told them that the clapper had fallen out of the
2nd about an hour before the end of the attempt. No-one inside could
tell!

Mike