Leeds bells and ringers

CHRIS PICKFORD c.j.pickford.t21 at b...
Wed Jul 7 06:18:15 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Two published accounts spring to mind:
Leeds and Wakefield: "A Change-Ringing Controversy" by Miss Emily Hargrave =
in Transactions of the Thoresby Society Vol.28 (1928) pp.226-232=20

Leeds, Yorks: "200 years of ringing at Leeds Parish Church" by Ronald H. Do=
ve in Ringing World 17 Jan. 1964 p.34, 24 Jan. p.58

I seem to recall that the RW got into trouble for publishing some material =
from this without permission a while back - I think the Thoresby Society ma=
y be uncommonly strict about requiring formal permission, even to use short=
extracts, so be careful. I think it's quite likely that Cyril drew on this=
, as I believe I brought it to his attention

The original peal book seems to be in the West Yorkshire Archives Office (a=
t Wakefield, I assume)

Leeds, Yorks: Leeds Parish Church ringers' book 1746-1781 (see "A Change-Ri=
nging Controversy" by Emily Hargrave in Transactions of Thoresby Society Vo=
l.28 (1928) pp.226-32); original in West Yorkshire Record Office

CP