[Bell Historians] Bells in museums

Anne Willis zen16073 at z...
Wed Jul 7 13:16:32 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

I am ashamed to admit that I have never been to Trowbridge museum. I will
make enquiries, or perhaps Phil Lucas can.

Anne
-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Skelton [mailto:neil.tcct at v...]
Sent: 07 July 2004 10:40
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Bells in museums

SALISBURY (FORMER WORKHOUSE): Demolished 1972. Three small bells (each
about 12 inches diameter). The clock bell was by William Tosier 1719 and was
said to have come, with the one-handed clock, from nearby Longford Castle -
inscribed: W : B : SZ : WT 1719. (WB possibly for William Bouverie - family
name for Earls of Radnor). The other bell, in the central tower, was without
inscription and long-waisted and was bought by the workhouse authorities in
1899. I recall seeing a third bell on the floor of the workshop. I cannot
be certain but I think it was by Warner.

On demolition of the buildings the bells were retained by Wiltshire County
Council and to be displayed in a museum (letter to NS 20/6/1972). I
understand that they went to the Trowbridge Museum but this has not been
confirmed to me.

Perhaps Ann Willis has seen them there?

Neil