Netiquette

David Bryant david at b...
Fri Jul 9 12:44:43 BST 2004

Generally, the list etiquette, or 'nettiquette' displayed by this list has been good. However, it seems to be slipping somewhat recently. Can everybody please bear the following in mind:

When replying to emails, quote only any relevant portions of the email to which you are replying, with your response beneath. The original email and the response should be differentiated somehow. Many browsers do this for you by automatically placing chevrons at the beginning of every quoted line. There are several other ways to do it - so long as it's clear it isn't important how it is done.

NEVER, ever click 'reply' then type something at the top, quoting the email to which you are replying in full beneath. This results in very messy threads, with one or more complete emails quoted below. There has been an email today unnecessarily quoting two long emails.

Please don't send pointless comments - e.g. 'Yes, I've seen that too', unnecessary spelling corrections, etc, to the list. If your reply is only of relevance to one person (usually the person whose email you are replying to), please send it to them and not to the list.

Attachments - if they contain text, please copy it into the body of the email. Photos, spreadsheets, etc can be placed in the files section of the Yahoo page. You need a yahoo username and password to access this, and it is easy to get one - anyone requiring instructions please email me. Attachments to the list are allowed at the moment, but please use this feature sparingly and with good reason.

We had a similar discussion to this on the 'nabbers' list a month or so ago, and several people who consistently display bad netiquette refused to do anything about it. Please note that I do not want a discussion here along similar lines, and as moderator I can and will ensure that good practice is maintained. I don't expect perfection - we all slip up sometimes - but please try to show consideration for other list members. Long emails quoting many previous ones make for very messy and lengthy digests, which is hardly fair on those members who receive the daily digest rather than individual emails.

Thanks

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/