[Bell Historians] Modern Whitechapel bells with canons

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Fri Jul 16 04:02:40 BST 2004

> Well, Richard, I venture to suggest Nigel has provided the answer
to the
> Pebworth mystery. I think we may both be right. It is clear that
> Whitechapel's policy is not to cast on canons for full-circle
ringing bells
> and that doncaster heads are the substitute in such circumstances
(did that
> become policy when the request by Pebworth was made?). It is also
clear that
> canons have been cast on to bells by Whitechapel since the early
1950s, but
> for non ringing bells only. On that basis, I suspect Pebworth bells
were,
> indeed, the first full-circle ringing bells to be cast by
Whitechapel with
> canons/doncaster head since 1952.
>
> Chris Povey

Good to know that neither of us is going mad! Thank you Nigel for
clarifying the situation.

So how many ringing bells have been cast since the war with canons?
I seem to remember that the two treble for Market Weighton were cast
with them by Taylors a few years ago.

Richard