Plymouth (Devonport Dockyard Chapel)

Neil Skelton neil.tcct at v...
Fri Jul 23 20:16:54 BST 2004

charset="Windows-1252"

It is said that the bells originally destined for St Michael's, Princetown,=
adjacent to the prison went to the Dockyard Chapel, destroyed in the SWW. =
The building of Princetown church, by French and American prisoners of war =
was commenced in 1810. By 1814 the prison was running down due to the cessa=
tion of hostilities and a request to the prison authorities to provide a se=
t of communion plate was turned down . Further, although the bells had been=
cast, the Prison Board did not feel authorised in incur further expense. I=
nstead they were taken from Plymouth (where presumably they had been delive=
red) to the Dockyard and hung in a chapel there. Does anyone know who cast =
these bells and whether there is any truth in this story?

Princetown church is now in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust whi=
ch has incurred a hefty sum on essential repairs. The single bell (20.5/8" =
diameter) was cast in 1821 by J. Abraham of Tavistock. It is, I believe, on=
ly one of two bells extant by this founder. Unfortunately, it was cracked w=
hen it fell from the tower. It is to be welded and rehung.

Neil Skelton.