Deafhill bells

George Dawson George at d...
Tue Jul 27 09:05:30 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Taylors provided one bell in October 1885, 24 1/4" 3.0.8.

GAD

I am not surprised that there is difficulty in finding out about this chu=
rch. Here is the history -
Deafhill in county Durham, which is situated in the "sticks" half way bet=
ween Durham & Hartlepool as the crow flies, was only one farm house until t=
he pit opened about 1880. It grew to about 90 houses and the church was cal=
led St.Cuthbert's Deafhill-cum-Langdale. There were many villages that did =
not exist before the opening of a pit in the South Durham Coalfield and the=
villages that sprung up to service the individual pits were often very clo=
se together. Such is the march of time that the villages of Deafhill & Lan=
gdale effectively have been swallowed up by the enlarged village of Trimdon=
Station. ( although I am quite sure that those who live in the area still =
consider themslves to be Deafhill and Langdale and not part of Trimdon Stat=
ion conurbation ).
Enough of history and back to bells. I have not as yet been able to gain =
access to the bells as scaffolding is required but am expecting that I shal=
l be able to inspect them later this year when some work is being carried o=
ut.
As I currently understand the situation there are five bells in the turre=
t and pinacle astride the roof gable. One bell belongs to the church and is=
probably of 1884 vintage when the church was erected. This is chimed with =
a hammer. The other four bells were installed after WW2 as a war memorial a=
nd are the property of the community. There is a clock to go with the bells=
but as yet I can't tell you what it chimes as it has been some considerabl=
e time since it worked. This is shortly to be attended to and it will be th=
en that I will be able to have a look - Howard E. J. Smith , Durham Dioces=
e bell maintainence advisor.