[Bell Historians] Digest Number 815

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Wed Jul 28 18:08:45 BST 2004

Actually, the clock, the chiming machine and two of the bells all
carry the name of J.Smith & Sons, Clerkenwell, London, with the clock
and chiming machine also reading "Clerkenwell Steam Clock Works". It
is of course possible that Smith subcontracted the casting of the
bells to someone else. Unfortunately, everything is undated; I have
assumed installation in the year that the building was constructed
(1889). Further details and newly-added photos can be found at
http://www.gcna.org/data/CTOGRENB.HTM
Based on Mike Chester's list, this appears to be the third-largest
English-made hemispherical chime in the world; it is certainly the
largest of the few known in North America. (Though a 16-bell chime
of this type was supposedly made by Meneely/Watervliet, that has not
been traced to a confirmed destination.)

_____

_____

--
=Carl Scott Zimmerman= Co-Webmaster: http://www.gcna.org/
Voicemail: +1-314-821-8437 (home) mailto:csz_stl at s...