Re; Brockhampton Church

Marchant, Andrew (RDSSW) Andrew.Marchant at d...
Thu Jul 29 10:16:53 BST 2004

I have been following this story with interest.

The directions on the estate agent's website certainly seem to direct you to
Brockhampton (by Ross) as David Bagley says, however I think the directions
lead you to somewhere along the minor road between SO598315 & SO600316 which
isn't marked as a church on the OS map. This could be the old church as the
3&4 bell society rang the 1 in the other church only a few weeks ago (as I
think someone has already said) at SO594321.

If this is correct aren't the ring of 3 in question at Brockhampton (by
Bromyard) which is how they are described in Sharpe's Herefordshire and
therefore shouldn't have been removed from Dove?
The remains of a chapel at Lower Brockhampton are at SO687560 and the church
marked with a tower (in the park) at SO683549.

This (SO683549) is where I thought the 3 were, although as they have been
removed from Dove now I can't check what the given grid ref was (assuming
that was correct!)

Also when you do a search in Multimap, or the like, for Brockhampton, it
only lists the Brockhampton near Ross as the Brockhampton in Herefordshire.

I agree with Nick, I'm not convinced they should have been removed now.

Andy

Directions on estate agent website "From Monmouth take the A40 to Ross on
Wye heading for the M50 and take the A449 towards Ledbury, after
approximately 2 miles turn left on the B4224 signposted Hereford continue
along this road through the village of How Caple for approximately 3 miles,
on passing the 'Falcon Guest House' (on the left hand side) take the
immediate left turning signposted Brockhampton. Continue up the lane for
approximately one mile, the entrance leading to the parking area is 100
yards on the right past Brockhampton Nursing Home."

>Message: 10
> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:23:08 -0000
> From: "Nick Bowden" <nickwbowden at f...>
>Subject: Re: Brockhampton
>
>David Bryant <david at b...> wrote:
>> Forwarded from John Baldwin:
>>
>> > Recently there has been discussion about whether the ring of 3 at
>> > Brockhampton (near Bromyard) still remain. Today's Independent
>Property
>> > section shows that the Grade II listed (and already
>converted/renovated 2
>> > years ago) church is (again) for sale. There is a picture of the
>church.
>> > There also claims to be "a view up into the church tower" - which
>to me
>> > implies the bells HAVE already been removed and thus
>substantiating the
>> > removal claim. [Info is available from the agents: 01600 772929.]
>> >
>> > John Baldwin
>> > (029) 2055 4457
>
>Bearing in mind the amount of confusion there has already been about
>Brockhampton, is this DEFINITELY the church that had (has) the ring
>of 3? There are two Brockhampton's each with two churches (old & new)
>in Herefordshire are there not?
>Nick

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)

This email and any attachments is intended for the named recipient only. Its
unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted. If you have
received it in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender. Whilst this
email and associated attachments will have been checked for known viruses
whilst within Defra systems we can accept no responsibility once it has left our
systems. Communications on Defra's computer systems may be monitored
and/or recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other
lawful purposes.