[Bell Historians] G&J Simpson rings

LOVE, Dickon dickon.love at a...
Thu Jun 3 11:52:26 BST 2004

CJP:
"I don't know for sure which was the first G&J complete ring tuned on the
"Simpson" principle, but Launton (1907), Wickwar, Pattishall and Bitteswell
(all 1908) are candidates subject to checking dedication dates. Significant
"Simpson" content - but not complete rings - at Twyford (Bucks) and Wool
(Dorset) too, I believe. The first eights seem to have been in 1911.

Gillett's (or rather Johnston's) did go through quite a long development
phase before producing fully "Simpson" bells, and - since Norton was
recently "deposed" on this list as Taylors' first on account of wild
harmonics in one bell - the actual tuning of these early bells also needs to
be considered in determining which ring should be regarded as G&J's first
true true-harmonic / "Simpson" ring."

Hmmm - I feel another trip to Croydon library coming on. I'll get the tuning
figures for these and then let you guys decide how wild they are. The books
also show finishing dates for these rings, so I will note these too.

Edenbridge and Wrotham are both 1911 octaves. I already have these figures:

EDENBRIDGE (finished April 1911)

8	186.5	373	460.5	559.5	746
7	209.75	416	511	625	836
6	233	466.5	566	702	933