[Bell Historians] Re: G&J Simpson rings

Andrew Higson, Bellmaster andrew_higson at t...
Mon Jun 7 09:41:53 BST 2004

>Taylor's used to rivet theirs - since about 2000 they have drilled and tapped the end of the gudgeon and bolted them in.<

On new headstocks. The riveted gudgeons had a greater angle on the taper (about 12 degrees I think) the new ones have a morse taper. We still rivet gudgeons when redoing old headstocks which are already coned out for the old taper and those that we supply to HMA.

Andrew Higson