[Bell Historians] Re: G&J Simpson rings

Andrew Higson, Bellmaster andrew_higson at t...
Mon Jun 7 10:18:04 BST 2004

Die hard tradition!

Andrew
----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Offen
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 10:13 AM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: G&J Simpson rings

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Higson, Bellmaster"
<andrew_higson at t...> wrote:
> >Taylor's used to rivet theirs - since about 2000 they have drilled
and tapped the end of the gudgeon and bolted them in.<

> On new headstocks. The riveted gudgeons had a greater angle on the
taper (about 12 degrees I think) the new ones have a morse taper. We
still rivet gudgeons when redoing old headstocks which are already
coned out for the old taper and those that we supply to HMA.

> Andrew Higson

This is probably not particularly relevant to the Historian's List,
but why do HMA have riveted gudgeonsrather than bolted ones?

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor