[Bell Historians] Wolverhampton

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Jun 15 00:50:26 BST 2004

> I am pretty sure that Wimborne were on ball bearings from the
start - and
> metric at that (There was a RW article about it a few years ago).
So perhaps
> W'ton were the same.

I think you might be right, at least in the case of the tenor. David
Bagley has kindly emailed me photos of the back two bells, and the
bearings to the tenor certainly appear to be the Gillett type, with
the greaser on top. The framework and fittings are pretty much a copy
of a Taylor installation - box-section headstock, cast iron H frame,
etc.

The 11th's bearings, so far as I can see from the photo, look to have
Taylor-type housings. As Taylor's had not really started using ball
bearings other than experimentally in 1911, I doubt whether Gilletts
could have copied. Presumably the housings must be by Whitechapel.

I've been caught out by housings such as these before - the middle
six at Exeter Cathedral have bearing housings which appear to be by
Taylor's, but I know that these bells were still on plain bearings
until the early 1990s, when Whitechapel rehung them at the same time
as they replaced the headstock on the tenor. Presumably they used
these types of bearing housings to match the mounting holes, although
that said the Exeter tenor has ordinary (and very large) SKF bearing
housings. Have Whitechapel used Taylor-type housings elesewhere? Do
they make the housings themselves or buy them from Taylor's?

David

p.s. David Bagley also emailed me individual recordings of each of
the Wolverhampton bells. If anyone (Bill?) wants them then please ask
either David or me.