[Bell Historians] Wimborne Minster

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at v...
Tue Jun 15 07:41:22 BST 2004

>From: matthewhigby at a...
>To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Wolverhampton
>Date: Tue, Jun 15, 2004, 12:24 am

> david at b... writes:
>
> Given their date, they are certainly going to have been on plain bearings
> originally.
>
> I am pretty sure that Wimborne were on ball bearings from the start - and
> metric at that (There was a RW article about it a few years ago). So perhaps
> W'ton were the same.
>
> Matthew Higby & Co Ltd,

No. G & J weren't doing ball bearings as early as 1911, any more than
Taylors and M & S were - though Taylors, as we know, were about to.

The back three bells at Wimborne were put on ball bearings by G & J in 1931.
(The next three were rehung on b bs by Whitechapel much later; the front
four bells are still on G & J's original p bs.)

C D