Riverside and Wolverhampton

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Thu Jun 17 14:56:01 BST 2004

Nigel Taylor:

> Beats between bells
I was experimenting with a peal of 12 true-harmonic bells the other
day. I discovered that the beats between the equal-tempered tierces
of the 11th and 12th when rung almost together were at the frequency
of the prime or strike note of the 10th. If the 11th and 12th are
rung together and set, then after a couple of seconds what sounds
like the strike note of the 10th will be quietly heard even though it
has not rung. Bizarre but true!

> did Cyril have trouble pitching very
low frequencies?

I published a brief note on the ability of the ear to determine low
frequencies the other day (www.hibberts.co.uk/peals.htm and scroll
down to 'ability to discriminate frequencies). I have done some more
research since, it is documented in academic journals that untrained
ears can't judge pitch at 60Hz to better than 70 cents. Trained ears
can do better but still not anything like as well as at higher
frequencies.

> compare C.D.'s figures with the original G & J figures.

I compared Chris' figures with David Bagley's recordings; they were
the same to within recorder speed and normal tolerances.

Bill H