[Bell Historians] Warners and Harmonic Tuning

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sun Jun 20 22:38:21 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

You ought to have heard the eight at Mangotsfield (aka Maggotsfield), Glos.=
Cast and tuned by JW & Sons Ltd in 1921. Iremember the first time I heard =
them; I think it was the last peal on those bells - the striking was fine, =
but the most dreadful racket was being made. Yet they supported a very good=
band of ringers under John Jefferies and his family right up almost to the=
end.

I was given the task of helping to look after the parish in 1992/3, by whic=
h time the back three had become unringable; it was very necessary to get s=
omething going on which the people could become focussed. The bells project=
was the outcome, and an excellent new ring was cast by Taylors. I remember=
being present when the tenor was being persuaded (with difficulty) to part=
company with its latter existence. Apparently JW & Sons Ltd had vast quant=
ities of shell-cases left over after the Great War; I am not sure what they=
were made of, but wouldn't be surprised if some of them found their way in=
to Mangotsfield's old bells.

They were supposed to be tuned "on the harmonic principles advocated by Can=
on Simpson". That did not happen, and if anyone is interested in the pitche=
s, I will post them up.

RCO asks about Christ Church, Erith. I rang there last year and enjoyed the=
m, but I am informed that this is not a universal sentiment.

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20