[Bell Historians] Earliest Semitone

David Bryant david at b...
Mon Jun 21 23:08:46 BST 2004

> Leeds Parish Church is well known for having had the first ever set of
> thirteen bells (twelve plus 2#) cast and hung at one time.
> BUT was this the first case of a sharp second?

Yes

> When was the first flat sixth?

Halifax, 1857. Although the bell which is now the flat 6th at Exeter was
there before that (as a flat 4th), this existed as a historical survival
rather than as a specifically-cast semitone bell.

> Was there an earlier use of a semitone bell e.g 5# of an eight?

Not apart from Exeter, and quite what that was used for before the bells
were augmented to 12 in 1922 isn't clear. To get a minor eight, perhaps?

For more information see my article on semitone bells. Go to
http://www.bryantd.fsnet.co.uk/bell_historians. Click 'articles', then it's
at the bottom of the list.

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/