G&J tuning (Leicester St Nicholas)

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Fri Jun 25 12:52:01 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Bill said he wondered if they actually tuned the upper partials on this bel=
l, so here are the figures somewhat as they appear in the book:

Leicester St Nicholas
Bell no 6759
7th December 1949
Diameter 48 1/2"=20
Soundbow As cast 3 5/8"=20=20=20=20
Tuned 3 3/16"=20=20=20=20
Weight As cast 28 1 12=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
Tuned 22 0 0 1117.65 Kg
Tunings 6 1 12=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
Note E =
N. B.Despd weight is the tuned weight
VIBRATIONS
Correct
Cast With itself With peal Tuned
197 184 163 163 + 1/9
384 368 326 326 + 2/9
444.5 441.5 391.25 391 + 1/4
644.5 552 489 489 + 1/4
735 736 652 651+ 1/2

C.P. 751 727
A 945 762 =
=20
B 1094 800
C 1087 807
A, B, C bracketted together 815=20=20=20=20
=20
OU 1087 978 971
V.I 1488 1092.5
I.X 1602 1267
ON 1490 1304 1331
" 1464
" 1488
" 1482
HF 1936 1739 1738
OPV 2154 1959
?+VI 2752 2159.5
4N 2888 2608 2614

Recast three old bells to make one new bell (extract ends)

I guess I am not alone in not understanding all the above figures; the firs=
t set of five are obviously the "Simpson five"; but what is the difference =
in being correct with itself and with 'the peal' (it is a single bell). Abo=
ve these, I am lost and require 'on line instruction'. Do the figures given=
in the upper partials give the impression that they are consequential upon=
the tuning of the lower ones, or separately addressed.

NB The three old bells were in fact not recast and after 50 years on the fl=
oor, the treble was welded and they were rehung two years ago for stationar=
y chiming (tenor 6-1-12 in C); the large swinging bell was overhauled. As I=
said before, despite the above weights, it was estimated and invoiced at 2=
2-0-14 and the framed notice says 20-3-14.

DLC=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20