Handbells

Mike Chester mike at m...
Wed Mar 10 12:23:30 GMT 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Penney"
<stephen at u...> wrote:
> Here's a question - When handbells are described as "14 in D" -
what
> does the 14 mean? Presumably it's some sort of measurement of size,
> but what?

It is the size, C & C#=15, D & D#/Eb-14, E=13 F & F# = 12 and so
on. C in this case corresponding to "middle C". I think that it is
simply a numbering system and not directly a relationship to the
bells' sizes in, for example, inches

Look at http://www.whitechapelbellfoundry.co.uk/hbprice.htm

and see the replacement value of your bells. You might be
surprised! I get very good value for money insurance for my set via
Mayola Music.

Mike