Fw: Lead

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Mar 16 10:03:39 GMT 2004

>From Andrew Higson:

> Message date : Mar 16 2004, 09:33 AM
> From : "bellmaster"
> To : "David Bryant"
> Copy to :
> Subject : Lead
>
> I'm intrigued by the addition of lead! What
> does that do to the
> > durability of the casting?

Its not uncommon to find lead up to 1% in the analyses we have had done of old bells - notably some Hemony bells that we copied a couple of years ago to replace some over bright Eijsbouts bells. I haven't seen any evidence that the lead makes the bells soft or any less durable, just makes the upper partials a little less intense, which was the problem at Clungunford - the tower picked up on the octave quint.

Why not just make
> the fundamental as
> > flat as a pancake and leave the fifth very
> sharp? That always has
> > the desired effect

That would sound nice!
Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime